How to Critically Analyze a Research Paper
Learning how to critically analyze research papers
Critical analysis papers are quite common in academia. It often gets misunderstood as being in the same league as analysis papers. But an analytical paper and a critical analysis paper are completely different in nature and methods. An analysis paper usually analyzes the topic or object in question from a neutral point of view. But a critical analysis paper analyzes a previously done work through a critical perspective. It is necessary that you find out how to critically analyze a research paper, before attempting it, as it is totally different from other types of research papers.
The purpose of critically analyzing research papers
Understanding the objective of an assignment is very important while preparing research papers. It won’t help you much even if you learn how to critically analyze research papers, if you are not aware of what the objective of the study is. There are various purposes which are expected to be fulfilled by a critical analysis paper. It gives the students:
• A thorough understanding of the topic.
• A good idea of the difficulties which they might face while researching on that topic or other similar topics.
• A chance to learn from the mistakes made by others.
• First-hand experience in evaluating someone else’s works to judge its credibility and reliability.
Understanding how to critically analyze a research paper
There are various aspects to be taken into consideration while analyzing a paper critically.
• Do not try to make do with one reading. It is someone else’s idea and work. You will not be able to grasp its essence through a single reading.
• Do the analysis in parts to ensure that you have not accidentally left out any of the vital components or elements.
• Do not talk only about the negative points in the paper. It will make you look prejudiced. There should be a reasonable balance of positive and negative points.
• All that you don’t agree with need not be wrong. Hence, remember to specify whether the points you point out are those which you disagree with or which you are sure to be incorrect.
• You must analyze the formatting and writing style as well. Stick to formal language and do not be rude in your comments. Remember that you are also writing a research paper.
• Consider whether the research paper you are analyzing was developed from an outline or not. If you are not capable of judging whether an outline for research paper was used or not, you may take help from someone who is knowledgeable about it. You can use it as a decisive factor to comment on the research paper or term paper format applied and the quality of presentation.
Even if you learn how to critically analyze research papers, do not expect it to be an easy task. In fact, evaluating someone’s work is more difficult than doing the work yourself. It will involve the same amount of research as you will first need to do an in-depth study of the topic to critically analyze someone else’s work. If you wish to get assistance with your critical analysis paper, our writers will be able to help you. You can check out the examples of APA format papers, college term papers, research papers and sample expository essays in our samples section to get an idea of the skills of our writers.